Sunday 16 May 2010

Broken Rod Tip While Trout Fishing

I was fishing last weekend in the backwoods of the Tobiatic and Medway country on land owned by the Bowater Mersey Paper Company. The weather was lousy but the howling wind did keep the black flies away. There were lots of trout around and they were fussy enough to make the fishing quite challenging.

I was using a five weight rod and somewhere between stopping for a sandwich and starting fishing again I managed to break the tip. Not quite sure how it happened but now I have to fix it.

The good news is that the repair won't effect the action of the rod.  I base that judgement on the fact that I fished the rest of the day with the broken rod and had only slight problems with the line wrapping around the stub of the blank between the last guide and the missing tip-top.

It still cast well and could handle a feisty Speckled Trout.


Usually you can fix a broken tip right in the woods. The glue that rod builders use to secure the tip-top is a heat set glue so you just need a Bic lighter to heat the tip, pull out the old piece of the blank and slide the tip onto the remaining unbroken section. That will get you through the day until you can do a more permanent job.

This one broke flush with the base of the tip-top so I couldn't get the piece out to slide it on in a new position. I've ordered a new tip-top from Cabela's which puts my favourite rod out of commission until the new part comes.


Shad fishing has continued to be great. This is the best year in a long time for me with loads of fish each time out. Because my good rod is busted I've borrowed a rod from my daughter.

It's a 5 weight I built for her this spring.

The other day I found myself landing a whack of fish using a fly I designed and tied and a rod I built. Have to admit to feeling a bit of self satisfaction. There really is a lot more to fishing than the fish.

Labels: , , , , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger fishingdudes said...

Fishing for trout is a very enjoyable activity, but when it comes to being consistently successful trout fishing can be quite challenging. In this article I'm going to provide you with 3 tips to have more success when it comes to fishing for these multi colored beauties. These tips are effective for the four main species of river and stream dwelling trout: rainbow, brook, brown, and cutthroat.

fishing tips

30 September 2013 at 15:05  
Blogger Abbey Inn Cedar said...

Your tips is very useful for fisher's who had trouble with their rods while doing trout fishing. At least it will give idea to beginners on what to do.

Things to do in Alaska

15 November 2013 at 14:08  
Blogger Abbey Inn Cedar said...

Your tips is very useful for fisher's who had trouble with their rods while doing trout fishing. At least it will give idea to beginners on what to do.

Ketchikan Fishing Charters

18 November 2013 at 13:57  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home