Sunday 25 April 2010

The Shad Are In- Shad Run 2010 is Underway

Went out to check on the Shubenacadie River and the Nine Mile today. Figured I'd get some trout fishing in on the Nine Mile which I did, lots of trout around. As I got farther downstream towards the Shubenacadie I started seeing the tell-tale swirls of Shad moving in the river. I fished hard for an hour then decided to walk down to the junction with the big river. That is where I hit the fish.

I met this fellow, Greg Lovely, and we fished across the brook from each other for an hour or two. He is a good fisherman and tells a good story too.


 Between us we touched about twenty Shad this afternoon. Landed a few, lost a few and had lots of action and even a few double headers.

As I type this my arm is still a little sore from what my buddy Brad calls "Arm aching action". Get out there boys the fish are starting to move up the rivers.

Labels: , , ,

4 Comments:

Anonymous Brad said...

Sounds like it's time to hit the river.
Would love to try some of your new flies as well!

Brad

26 April 2010 at 16:17  
Blogger Steve Dobson said...

Yup Brad;
Its time. I went back on Sunday but didn't do too well. The guy next to me had one every ten minutes though. I guess there are always a few surprises when it comes to fishing. They were taking pink and I'd lost my last pink one the night before. I just tied up a couple more so am ready now. Who knows though they might already be locked on yellow or green.
cheers,
Steve

27 April 2010 at 01:34  
Anonymous Grasshopper said...

OK Dumb question - I'm just a beginner (need to read fishing for dummies) I just have a Rod, reel some nightcrawlers and a fishing liscence. Was looking for a decent place to fish in the Halifax area and seen your blog and nine mile river on the map. Can you catch fish in nine mile with nightcrawlers? I noticed you guys like to fly fish but im just starting out. Just as important do you have any tips or advice? Any help much appreciated - feel free to e-mail me at csparty@hotmail.com. Thanks!

2 May 2010 at 08:47  
Blogger Steve Dobson said...

Hello Grasshopper;

You can catch trout in the Nine Mile River with night crawlers. The lakes around Dartmouth and Halifax are all pretty good spots to fish as well for trout and smallmouth bass.

Good luck and good fishing.
Steve

3 May 2010 at 05:18  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home