Sunday 17 May 2009

Shad Flies

Here is a peek at what I am carrying in my Shad fly box this year.






-
-
My first shad of the year I caught on this green one. I got it from Larry at Fishin’ Fever the other day. I like to go in and see what the latest patterns are and then, once I know what is working, I’ll tie a handful of variations. The truth is; if you are not hanging a few on the bottom, you are not fishing in the right zone. So, it is a costly business if you don’t tie your own.





Here is my go to fly for when nothing else seems to be working. It is a Crazy Charlie; I think that is what it’s called. Most Bonefish patterns will work amazingly well for Shad. It is probably the hook facing up design that allows one to fish it with better technique as much as any other design element.




These are the flies that were most successful over the last few years. Like most anadromous fish, each generation of returns seems to have a definite colour preference when it comes to taking flies. Variations of green and white seem to be most successful but one year red was by far the most preferred with orange a close second.



My first cast of the season I will always go with a white body, green head or a totally green. If that doesn’t seem to be working I’ll keep changing, working through from red to orange and then pink, pure white and so on.

The main secret to catching fish seems to be going fishing. Everything else is subject to change.

Labels: , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home