Tuesday 7 April 2009

Shad Run 2009 - Not Long Now !

There are few things as exciting in the realm of fly fishing than taking improbably large fish, no matter what the species, from small waters.

It is the ability of the fly fisherman to fish the small tributaries of a main river that opens the door to a unique fishing experience.
-
-
Where spinning gear and heavy darts would foul on every cast, fly gear can often be used with a minimum of difficulty.

The first Shad I ever caught was on the Annapolis River, not a spot particularly famous as a shad river. I had stopped to look at a dam where the river meets the salt water.

In the depths I could see a handful of biggish fish fanning against the current and then suddenly swirling around each other and darting off, only to reappear in the same spot within a few minutes.

I had no idea what they were but I had some saltwater fishing gear in the car, specifically a spinning rod rigged up for Pollack fishing with a yellow Mr. Twister as the lure. That is a round lead jig to which a plastic tail is added. It is a great lure for Pollack and Mackerel too, although it was probably originally designed for Bass fishing.

I crouched over the spot where the fish were milling around and lowered the lure down in front of a fish. He didn’t react at all until I let the lure sink to rest on the bottom and then raised it with a little dancing motion. Bang! He nailed it and I was into a spectacular battle before I had time to absorb what had just happened. After about ten minutes I managed to land my first shad.


When I got home and mentioned my adventure to some friends they were unimpressed. Shad just didn’t seem to rate.

It was a pretty good lesson in what will elicit a strike from a shad though. When presenting a fly to a Shad I always try to get the fly a bit lower then the fish and expect a strike as it rises.
-
-
Because fly fishing for shad is still in its infancy in Eastern Canada it is still possible to find new, un-fished and un-crowded water.

Almost every Eastern Salmon River has historically also had a run of shad, some better known than others.

Although Shad, as open water spawners, do not need to run far up rivers and tributaries to find perfect gravel beds, they do disperse throughout the system.

If there are a lot of fish showing in the main river it is usually productive to check the tributaries too. Not just to find fish but to find those spots where a fly fisherman has the room to practice his art.




It won’t be long now until the Shad Run 2009 begins. I can’t wait.



Labels: , , , , ,

11 Comments:

Blogger Fish Whisperer said...

Great read Steve. It is funny how some anglers get snobby about the fish they catch. I was in Australia fishing for Barramundi with a few local guys. The Barra were not on the chew but the cat fish were. I enjoyed catching them, especially on light gear but the local guys hated it and left them on the bank to die slowly. In the end I had a good time catching cat fish and they went away mad. Congrats on the shad.
Tight lines

7 April 2009 at 23:02  
Blogger Tony said...

Is it a year already? remember you posting about Shad last year and then I ended up looking at our run of fish which is sadly very small these days . My mate seems keen on giveing it a bash it's one of the few naitive fish we have never caught or seen for that matter.
All the best mate and good luck may the fishing Gods smile on you.

8 April 2009 at 01:19  
Blogger Steve Dobson said...

Hi Tony,

Over here it is sinking tips and weighted flies for shad.

I think the UK strain is a bit smaller than the American Shad but should still be fun.

Here they average around 3 to 4 pounds with the females getting much bigger. Six pounds may be a bit of a fisherman's estimate but I reckon the large ones get pretty close to that.

I c&r any I'm lucky enough to catch although they are supposed to be delicious (and boney).

The legend is that the devil turned a porcupine inside out and threw it in the river to create the first Shad.

Cheers,
Steve

8 April 2009 at 03:30  
Blogger Steve Dobson said...

Nice to hear from you Fish Whisperer.

Folks are funny, especially fly fishermen. I'll have a great time fishing for anything. If it takes a fly; so much the better.

Cheers,
Steve

8 April 2009 at 03:33  
Anonymous Brad "Fishhawk" said...

Steve it was May 16th 2008, the night we caught about 30 shad between us. Not bad for 2 & 1/2 hours of fun. Great that digital photos store the date with the file name. About three days later we went back and caught 8 or nine fish and after that the river got flooded out! That was it for me, but I recall that you fished a few more times and had some good success.

Looking forward to this years run!

"Shadhawk"

9 April 2009 at 19:19  
Blogger Steve Dobson said...

Ha, Shad-hawk is a pretty good moniker for you Brad.

We have sure had some amazing trips.

It was you that first thought of exploring the tributaries from the main river. That must have been 5 or 6 years ago now. It really works. I have not fished the main river in years.

So many fish, so little time.

Cheers,
Steve

10 April 2009 at 18:21  
Anonymous Fishergirl 1985 said...

hi...if i were to plan a trip to the valley shad fishing, around what date would u think best? I live a few hours away .... I did go there once but it was a while back...thanks

5 May 2010 at 08:29  
Blogger Steve Dobson said...

Hello Fisher Girl;

I'd go now and every chance over the next couple of weeks. I was out tonight in Elmsdale and the river is so full of shad it is ridiculous. Orange was the hot colour tonight but pink has been the go to colour for me this year so far.

Good luck and get out there and wet a line.
Cheers,
Steve

6 May 2010 at 05:11  
Anonymous Fishergirl 1985 said...

Thanks for letting me know. We didnt really want to make the drive if it wasnt worth it yet. I think we heading there soon.Thanks again

6 May 2010 at 17:33  
Anonymous Fishergirl1985 said...

Hello again. Is shad fishing still on?

3 June 2010 at 05:18  
Blogger Steve Dobson said...

Hello Fishergirl;

I was out earlier this week before all the rain and it was still going strong. Went out for a look last night and both the Shubie and the Ninemile were flooded and unfishable. Not sure what the weekend will bring.

Cheers,
Steve

4 June 2010 at 01:44  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home