Sunday 15 March 2009

Ice Fishing

Stopped the car to watch a fellow ice fishing on one of the city lakes today. He was sitting on a bucket working one rod. It is a cold day and he sure didn’t look too comfortable. Can’t say I saw him catch any fish either but, it is a bright, sunny day and it was probably great just to be outside.

Now I have never been a big fan of ice fishing. When I lived in Kelowna, out in British Columbia I used to go the odd time. What ruined it for me was pulling those big rainbows up through the hole and thinking about what fun they would be on a fly rod come spring.

I just could never reconcile catching a two pound plus, wild, mountain rainbow on a piece of Green Giant corn through the ice - when I couldn’t catch one on a Doc Spratley in open water.

I do remember telling the proprietor of a deli where we loaded up with snacks and pepperoni once, that the pepperoni was our secret killer trout bait. He couldn’t keep it in stock for weeks after because he, of course, told every fisherman in town the secret.

I would sure love to get back to some of those mountain lakes with my fly rod now that I have a few more seasons under my belt.

Labels: , , ,

6 Comments:

Blogger Fish Whisperer said...

I can't say I ever wanted to ice fish. A little too cold for me. Besides ice is for keeping the drinks cold for when it is to hot to fish.
Tight lines

15 March 2009 at 14:16  
Blogger Steve Dobson said...

Couldn't agree more Fish Whisperer.

Cheers,
Steve

15 March 2009 at 18:13  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I did a bit of ice fishing when I lived in Ontario back in the late 70s but since moving to New Brunswick I have not gone ice fishing once.

The older I get the less I want to ice fish anyways, just too cold for me now.

Your picture is pretty cool and reminded me of a lake we went to in the early spring one year and as we paddled our canoes up the lake to where we wanted to pitch our tent we hear other voices. Very strange because we didn't see another vehicle. Must have been another road in.

Any ways, we came around the corner of this island and there were two guys sitting on a big rock in the middle of no-where drunk right out of their minds.

Their canoe had drifted away and there was still ice in the lake. It would have been a long cold swim back to shore.

We found their canoe and returned it to them then made sure they were off the lake. Once they were safe we started fishing and had a great weekend.

BTW: I never mix alcohol and water.

21 March 2009 at 15:55  
Blogger Steve Dobson said...

Great yarn James.
Thanks.

The picture is unattributed and, pardon the pun, has been floating around the internet for a long time.

Cheers,
Steve

BTW: How come we have never traded links?

21 March 2009 at 20:11  
Anonymous Rex said...

Very funny photo.

Thanks,
Rex

1 April 2009 at 20:20  
Blogger Steve Dobson said...

Thanks Rex,

It's been around a long time. I'm not sure where it originated.

Cheers,
Steve

2 April 2009 at 01:42  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home