Monday 1 December 2008

Steve Dobson’s Fisherman’s Blog Wins an Award

Here is something that has been on my to do list for quite a while and like all such things it has been waiting so long now that it is almost easier to let it slide than to act upon it. Nonetheless, I am a fisherman and will take the opportunity to brag since given the chance.


This blog was given an award a while ago by “Picture This”, a blog featuring the most amazingly beautiful photography. It is authored by the same fellow who writes about fishing in Fiji at “Xstreem Fishing Fiji”.
I just wanted to publicly say thanks for the award and the compliment of receiving it.





The author of these sites goes by the nom de plume Fish Whisperer.
Here is what has to say about himself:

“I am an avid angler. I would fish every day if I could, and I am lucky to have a partner who loves fishing also; although she usually catches bigger fish than me. I fish mainly tropical saltwater but when in Australia I fish fresh water as well. I am also a photographer.
I have been living in Fiji for over 9 years. During this time I have had to give up shooting film as the humidity and temperature do not agree with negatives and prints.

Since leaving film I have rediscovered my photography through the digital revolution. I now use a Canon 5D with a 24-105mm lens for all of my work. I take pictures of what moves me. I focus on images that I find unique in shape, pattern, color and texture. I look for faces that tell a story. I do not use long lenses for the sole reason it makes me have to engage my subject. Whether it is a person with whom I will have to communicate to get a good shot or an object that forces me to physically move towards it and out of my own comfort zone. I feel that this give my images a more real feel to them. I am constantly learning and exploring with my photography.”

Now that the snow is here along with the grey days of winter, a visit to Fiji via the web is even more enjoyable.

You can check out his writing and fantastic photography at:
Picture This and Xstreem Fishing Fiji

Labels: , , ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

congrats on the award Steve

2 December 2008 at 07:33  
Blogger Fish Whisperer said...

Thanks for the shout out. Sorry I did not get back to you sooner. I have been and still am on vacation. doing a little fishing and taking alot of photos. I will update when I return to warm Fiji but for now I am freezing my arse off in Mebourne Australia and on my way to Tasmania.
Thanks again Steve
FW

2 December 2008 at 16:24  
Blogger Steve Dobson said...

Thanks Jean Paul.

Are you still able to fish in your part of the world ?

Cheers,
Steve

2 December 2008 at 23:47  
Blogger Steve Dobson said...

Hey Fish Whisperer,

Your idea of freezing your arse off and mine are probably way different.
Nova Scotia lays almost exactly halfway between the equator and the North Pole.

Cheers,
Steve

2 December 2008 at 23:53  
Blogger Fish Whisperer said...

I think you're right, Fiji lays exactly half way between the eguator and 24 degrees south. brrrrrrr I am freezing. Can't complain too much as I was also in Dubai and did a little GT popping with 32c and calm seas.
Tight lines
FW

4 December 2008 at 02:52  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home