Sunday 23 November 2008

Fly Tying, an Optimist’s Pastime

I was thinking the other day about fly-tying. It was the pesky article about “Yobs with Blobs” and the comments from other fly fishermen that started me mulling it over.

Here is the thing; every fly we tie is imbued with the hope that it is the killer, the irresistible, the one that no fish can refuse.
I have yet to take a fly out of the vise with out feeling a little bit of hope; maybe optimism is a better word, that this is the fly that will make my season.
-

-

I first started tying flies close to thirty years ago. It goes through phases but basically now I’ll just tie what I need for a trip, usually the night before.
I have my favourite patterns minimized to a point that they are virtually unrecognizable to other fishermen. Mind you, if I am tying to give some flies to another fisherman I will follow the recipes exactly, but for myself- not so much.
-

-
As an example, knowing a certain river has a run of salmon that favour the colour yellow, I will tie a handful of Blue Charms but substitute all of the blue bits for a bright, lemon yellow.

-
-
-
-
That is because I like the way a Blue Charm fishes but know that for whatever reason, yellow will elicit a strike where the blue gets looked over, even followed, but strikes are seldom immediate.

The funny thing is that I say this stuff as though it was 100% true but I don’t really know. Is it apparently true because I fish as though it were true; or is it really true, about the yellow bits I mean?

Does that make any sense? Who knows? What I do know is that everyone who ties flies stops at some point and thinks,” This might be the one”

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree with this essay. I too always tie flies geared to catching lots of fish and hope to tie the killer. Fly-fishing is a very efficient way to catch fish anyway. I rarely get beat by a lure/spin/bait fisherman when using the flyrod and flies for trout. Deep water fish can be a different story but the fly system is not really designed for fishing below 10 feet and most fly fishers like fishing top water anyway. So if you can tie a killer fly all the power to you .....and can you give me one to try.

29 November 2008 at 23:13  
Blogger Steve Dobson said...

Hello Brad,

Good to hear from you.
I know that you do the same sort of thing.

I'm remembering a blue monstrosity you tied a few years ago for Smallmouth Bass fishing.
It worked like crazy when the dragonflies were buzzing around.

Wish I still had one to use as a pattern. But,I suspect you only tied one or two as a lark. Who knew they would work so well?

Cheers,
Steve

30 November 2008 at 02:21  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home