Thursday 9 July 2009

The New Float Tube

Got to try out the new float tube Tuesday evening, Brad “Fish Hawk” and I hit one of our favourite secret spots for some pretty good fishing. There were lots of Smallmouth Bass, a couple of Speckled Trout and even a few Yellow Perch.



-
-
The new float tube worked great. It is bigger and more comfortable than other tubes I have used. The small flippers I was using were a little under-powered for pushing it around the lake in the wind but are so comfortable and light that I’ll have to really think about whether or not to use my scuba fins next time. I’ll probably stick with the small flippers. Heck, it’s not as if I’m in a hurry.
-
-
Tactics for the evening were pretty simple. I started with a Wooly Bugger and Brad started with a leech pattern of some sort. I picked off three Bass from under the shore vegetation as we were kicking out. As we moved away from our launch site Brad started connecting with fish. He had changed up to a streamer with a bit of green he called a Baby Bass.
-
-
I soon switched over to a streamer, using one with a bit of yellow to represent the perch so plentiful in this lake. Fishing streamers around structure and through the open spots in the Lily Pad beds was absolutely deadly.
-
All told, it was a great outing. I lost count of how many Bass we brought to hand. The Trout were a pleasant surprise and even the Perch were bigger than average.
-
-
-
-
-
The weather continues crappy. Last night was cold and drizzly. Today continued cold but the sun showed his face toward the end of the day.



-
-
Smallmouth Bass are an interesting fish. Here is a shot from last night of a tiny Bass that hit a streamer nearly his own size. What was he thinking? Probably the same thing I do when picking up a great big bucket of Kentucky Fried Chicken.

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home