Monday 23 July 2007

What is the best fishing hat?

NFL Silver
 As you can see my search for a really good fishing hat continues.

This one started out as a cowboy hat with a fancy beaded band. It was a gift from a friend who golfs but doesn't fish. One good rain storm and a stubborn fisherman later this is what it looked like.

As you can see, fishing through the rain was rewarded but man, just look at that hat.


After another two days it was like putting a wet, clump of the lawn on my head.

 I finally chucked it and went back to a ball cap. As you can tell from previous posts I spend a lot of time thinking about fishing gear and what works or what doesn't.

 Here is what I think a fishing hat should do: Keep the sun from burning the tops of your ears. Provide protection when the wind or sloppiness sends a fly into the back of your head at full speed. Provide lots of air circulation to keep you cool. And, it should absolutely look better in a picture than this one.

 Most people I know wear ball caps. Many of the older guys wear some variation of a cowboy hat. I'm not sure what the guys wear for bonefishing or western trouting but I bet they have it figured out.

Let me know if you have any ideas. I'm going to start sending away for fly fishing equipment catalogues from all over the world just to see what they have thought of. That should be pretty interesting. I'll keep you posted.

Those are my new waders in this photo. I like them better each time I use them.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home