Saturday 9 June 2007

What Equipment Do You Really Need to Get Started ?

fishing boot
 My biggest worry is that my wife (when I'm dead) will sell my fishing gear for what I said I paid for it. ~Koos Brandt

I found myself in a discussion the other day with a friend who was just getting back into fly fishing after many years of being away from field sports. Work and geography can really affect how we choose to spend our precious leisure time.


Anyway, it always seems the question of what rod and reel set-up to start with becomes the focus in these conversations.

I’ve thought about it a lot over the years and my conclusion is that it is better to put your money into those things that will make you comfortable in the field and get by with a little bit less of a rod than to have the best rod and reel combo that money can buy and wet feet or a headache from the glare off the water.

I know it’s not what people want to hear. A discussion of the merits of stocking foot versus boot foot waders just doesn’t play to the peanut gallery.

I remember my first fall salmon fishing trip. The weather was perfect for the business, overcast with some sleety drizzle. The river was high and the water temperature was just above freezing.

There was a huge run of two plus sea-winter fish in and I was catching my share but I was miserable.

My waders had a tiny leak just at the crotch. I had to wade out bellybutton deep to get my cast into the sweet spot. I was wet and cold after the first ten minutes in the river and just got wetter and colder as the day went on.

In all fairness the waders had given me good service for about three years of fishing and duck hunting but I had two young children that needed things more than I needed new waders so I tried to get one more year out of them. There were patches on the patches.

The lesson for me was that the best sport in the world is less than appealing when it becomes an endurance contest.

When I think back on that trip I still shudder at the sheer misery I inflicted on myself. The next time I made the trip I made sure that my gear was in order; starting with my boots.

 Boy, did we ever catch and release a bunch of salmon that day though. It is part of my fall routine now and I look forward to it with pleasure each year. If anyone is curious I’ll talk a bit about the techniques we figured out for hooking up that day. Not everyone had the same success.

Labels: , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home