Tuesday 4 May 2010

Shad on the Fly 2010


Wow, check out this picture. Sure glad I took a minute to tie up some pink and gold flies.

My friend Aaron and I hit the Nine Mile after work the other day and had the whole place to ourselves.




We looked over a few of the higher pools but decided to walk the mile or so to the spot where I had been fishing with some success the last few times I'd been out.

It turned out to be a good decision.



The technique in these long deep pools without too much current is to cast across and down stream about 45 degrees. Let the fly sink and the line straighten out. Then, let the fly dangle on the straight line for a few seconds before starting a medium fast stripping retrieve.


Sometimes the fish will take on the swing, sometimes on the dangle but most often they will take on the first strip or two. They will of course surprise you often enough to make the above not really very good advice.

Here is the good advice: Be ready for a take any time your fly is in the water.


You gotta' love shad fishing on the fly!

Labels: , , , ,

2 Comments:

Anonymous JH Gannon said...

Could you recommend gear for flyfishing Shad? I've always fished Shad in the 9 Mile River but have always wanted to try them on a fly rod. Need a recommendation for the type of fly rod I should buy, etc.

Thanks,

J
jhgannon@hotmail.com

8 May 2010 at 07:15  
Blogger Steve Dobson said...

Hello J;

I have tried lots of different combinations of gear for shad over the years and have some thoughts to share with you.

In the first place, shad fishing is a great tune-up for the salmon season. It gives you a chance to try out your salmon gear on fish in the 4 to 6 pound class. Because of this many of the guys you see will be using 8 or 9 wight rods with big reels.

Those big rods work great for throwing a sinking line and heavy fly so are great for the business of shad fishing.

I use a 5wt rod for shad fishing. It is not so powerful for throwing a long sinking line but has a bit of finesse when required and maximizes the fun of landing a big shad.

The most important part of your equipment for fish like shad and salmon is the reel. It must run smoothly when those big fish take off. The slightest jam and the fish is gone.

I'm using a system two with a good drag which balances the light rod and the drag doesn't let the fish over-power the gear.

If I was getting into fly fishing and planned on using one rod for trout, bass, and shad I'd get a five weight with a good reel with a drag and a spare spool. One spool would have a floating line, the other a sinking line.

If I was only going to be using it for salmon and shad I'd go an 8wt with a good reel and spare spool.

Hope that makes sense to you J. If not drop me a note and I'll try to be more specific.

Cheers,
Steve

8 May 2010 at 22:22  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home