Sunday 17 May 2009

Shad Fishing on the Nine Mile

Just when I figured I was going to have to travel back in time and fight some big fat Scottish guy to get my “fishing mojo” back, I finally got into some fish.






Today dawned with a grey and overcast sky, perfect for shad fishing. I knew they were there because Brad “Fish Hawk” McCaughan and I had been out earlier in the week. We saw lots of fish but didn’t connect.





Today I managed to get six Shad, all of them big. There were more there to be caught but I was content and headed for home.

For a change everyone hooked was brought to hand. Usually I loose one or two for everyone landed, especially these big six pounders. What a battle they put up. It really is as Brad says, “Arm aching action”. Maybe it was because I was fishing faster water than I normally fish but all of the takes were perfect and I was able to play the fish confidently.




Oh yeah, for those of you locally, green seems to be the preferred fly colour, today anyway.






Labels: , , , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Fish Whisperer said...

I lost my MOJO once for almost three months. It really sucked. I found it under a snag, a trevally was holding it.
Tight lines

17 May 2009 at 16:10  
Blogger Steve Dobson said...

Hello Fish Whisperer,

Yeah, that Mojo thing is complicated business. It would be a good name for a fly though.

Cheers,
Steve

17 May 2009 at 19:45  
Anonymous Brad "Fishhawk" said...

Glad you got your mojo back!
I was thinking of going again tomorrow night. Water should be pretty good!

20 May 2009 at 01:06  
Anonymous Steve said...

Fishing has been spotty Brad.
Lots one day and hard to connect the next.

We will try again this weekend maybe.

Cheers,
Steve

23 May 2009 at 04:19  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home