Monday 6 October 2008

Arrowheads and Mushrooms

Not far from my cottage, just across the road and down a little, is a field that was a campsite and gathering place for the aboriginal peoples who roamed the woods and waters of pre-colonial Nova Scotia.

It made sense to me that this bluff overlooking Bear Falls would be a major destination.

-
-
Open to the river breezes, flies and mosquitoes are not much of a nuisance. Salmon ran in the river from early May until late July or August. There was even a run of big salmon in the dead of winter if the old stories are true. Shad were in the lower river and the silver Kiack, the Mi'kmaq name for Alewives, ran from early spring until the water got too warm.

At Bear Falls, cracks in the bedrock make a natural trap where Kiack, in their thousands, are still dipped today.

As I said, it made sense to me that the first peoples would congregate here in this beautiful land of plenty. They were there I thought for the same reason I was, the fishing.



That was until one afternoon a few weeks ago when a late summer rain drove me indoors to read and shift pots under the wandering leaks in my roof before finally dozing-off in front of the last glowing embers in my fireplace.
-
-
-
-

The next morning I awakened to the most amazing sight, the ground for as far as I could see was dotted with a multitude of tiny, perfect mushrooms.
-
-
-
-
-
-
-

I suspect a quick Google Search for “psilocybin” might provide some clues as to what really made this a gathering place.

Labels: , , ,

7 Comments:

Blogger MIZLAN DARKARTCASTER said...

wow..very nice blog! i like your blog..i am mizlan from Labuan island,Malaysia..i am snakehead fish hunter..hope be your friend

7 October 2008 at 19:12  
Blogger Steve Dobson said...

Hello Mizlan,

Welcome and thanks for the compliment. I visited your blog and have put up a link for others to find it too. Very interesting stuff. Lot's of great pictures.

Cheers,
Steve

7 October 2008 at 19:51  
Blogger Fish Whisperer said...

Fixing a hole where the rain gets in and keeps my mind from wondering. Along with with fields of magic mushrooms. Yeah, I can see the aboriginies there for the fishing. Great read.
Cheers

7 October 2008 at 23:39  
Blogger MIZLAN DARKARTCASTER said...

thank for visit my blog...i also add link to your blog..hope your friend

8 October 2008 at 00:53  
Blogger Steve Dobson said...

All good. Thanks,Mizlan.

Cheers,
Steve

8 October 2008 at 01:38  
Blogger Steve Dobson said...

Hey Fish Whisperer,

It is a funny thought isn't it?

I've never heard of mushrooms being a part of any spiritual or recreational rites among the Mi'kmaq but who knows?

Cheers,
Steve

8 October 2008 at 01:44  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

very nice blog indeed.

12 October 2008 at 23:57  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home