Friday 9 May 2008

Fishing May 7th

I made it out last night after work for a bit of Shad fishing.

I was having no luck at all until a fellow named Phil ambled down the stream and stopped to chat. He mentioned that he had tried several different coloured flies and when he changed to green started hitting a few fish.

Needless to say, I immediately changed to a green fly. You can see the results in the pictures.

All told, pretty slow until sometime between almost dark and should have left fifteen minutes ago. A few fish landed, two fish hooked and lost plus a lot of bumps and strikes with no hook-ups.

It was interesting watching Phil fish on down the river. He worked the fly more than I am inclined to but out fished me so I will pay a lot more thought and attention to that. He also fished a stretch of water I had walked right by with some success. Lesson learned.

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

Blogger sylense said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

9 May 2008 at 19:55  
Blogger vanckirby said...

ive never fished for shad before. we dont really have any down this way like that. would love to see the kind of fly you throw for them. do you tie your own?

9 May 2008 at 19:57  
Blogger Steve Dobson said...

I will post a picture of my fly box in the next post for you Vanckirby.

I tie many of my own but usually stop by the fly shop and buy a few of the hot pattern for the year to copy as best I can. Because the flies are fished weighted and sunk a lot are lost.

If I can get the macro setting working on my old camera, I will tie a few taking step-by-step photos. In my experience the simple patterns work best, are quick to tie and do not hurt as much when they are inevitably lost.

Cheers,
Steve

10 May 2008 at 02:05  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home