Friday 2 May 2008

Spring in Cape Breton

I just got back from a business trip to Sydney Cape Breton. Spring is slow to come in that part of the country. It rained and was foggy for the trip both ways, pretty grim and cold.




I did see some interesting things though. I stopped to look at a beaver dam with another smaller dam built on the creek just below it. Not sure what the beavers were thinking with the small dam but they have a nice head pond behind the big one. Did not see any rises but I will bet when it gets a little warmer that will be a honey hole.


I was struck by the amount of sea ice still around. Here are a couple of pictures taken approaching the bridge that is a landmark on the way to Sydney.








I stopped to look at a little river called the Skye. I have never fished it but I like the name. It was a bit full and cloudy. It is usually crystal-clear. Many folks fish there judging by the litter of fishhook packs and a lot of discarded line just lying around.














Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hard to believe that the weather is 2-3 weeks behind in Cape Breton.
My freind Marcus tells me that the Skye River is a great rainbow trout river. I, like you, have not tried fishing it.

8 May 2008 at 00:27  
Blogger Steve Dobson said...

Yeah Brad,

I was amazed by the pack ice still around. There was a large amount of fishing garbage scattered along the banks of the Skye. I guess it must be pretty good fishing. I'd be inclined to walk a mile or two upstream before wetting a line though if you know what I mean.

Cheers,
Steve

9 May 2008 at 02:58  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home