Sunday 26 August 2007

A good old fashioned fishing trip

"stealthy for trout"
 My fishing buddy Brad and his daughter Angelina had a great trip recently. I hope she didn't out-fish Dad too badly. I can't think of anything more fun than a good old fashioned trouting trip with the kid's. I know Brad releases most of the fish he catches but I think it is good to keep a few for supper once in while. It keeps us grounded.






There is a very interesting discussion on the Fly Fishing Rabbi's blog about the ethics of catch and release.

 I think ethics evolve in a civilization just as art or technology do. I'm not sure there is an instinctive ethical core borne within us that guides us toward what is right and repels us from what is wrong.

 I started to practise catch and release because I despise waste but love to fish. As I got better at fishing I brought more fish to hand than I could reasonably use. It made sense to release them and as time progressed other larger thoughts seemed to confirm that it was simply the right thing to do.

Don't get me wrong. I still kill the odd fish when I want a salmon to plank or a neighbour asks for some trout but I do it with intent and forethought not capriciously.

Am I an ethical fly fisherman? I'm not sure. I try to do the least amount of damage I can to both the environment where I am fishing and to the fish I am trying for. That's what makes me feel good.

Others may be more extreme in one way or another and that makes them feel good. I guess the big evolution in my thinking about fishing is that I do think about the implications of my actions and try to leave the lightest disturbance in my passing.

Check out the Fly Fishing Rabbi at : http://theflyfishingrabbi.blogspot.com/



Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home