Sunday 16 December 2007

Hand Tied Leaders

 If I were to challenge myself to seriously improve my skill as a fly-fisherman, you know where I’d start?
I’d improve my knowledge of leaders.

Here is the thing, I usually use a straight run of six or eight pound Maxima brown about a foot longer than my rod.

To that I’ll add a few feet of tippet - two pounds lighter than my straight run. As the day goes on this will get progressively shorter with each fly change until I extend it with tippet or tie on a whole new section.

This isn’t because it’s the best way to do it.

It’s because a while ago I broke a tapered leader. Not having a spare to hand I tied a length of leader directly to my fly-line and it worked fine.

It works under most conditions pretty well, under some conditions exceptionally well and under a few conditions so poorly that I tend to not bother and just go somewhere else.

Here is where it works best, wet flies in moving water. It works where the presentation of the fly upon landing is less important than the presentation through the swing and the dangle at the end of the drift.

You can control the depth of the fly by shortening or lengthening the leader. It is quick to change or renew, cheap and effective.

Shortened up to about six feet and fished with lead-headed flies it is deadly for Shad and sea-run trout in brackish or salt water.

Here is where it doesn’t work.

Anywhere the presentation of the fly upon landing is critical. whether wet or dry.
You can see from this a couple of things. First, that most of my fishing is done wet and second, that I’m basically kind of cheap.

Ian and Steve
Ian Gall
On my last trip to Newfoundland, Ian Gall who is a Master Guide, fine fly fisherman and superb raconteur gave me a hand-tied leader.
It tapered in nine feet through a beautiful series of blood knots from around 12 pound test to about 4 pound test. An additional 3 feet of tippet made for a 12 foot leader that cast so amazingly that the dry fly I was using would make one perfect circular ripple when it landed.



The first time I used it was on an evening’s still-water fishing. Trout were rising all around me but ignored everything I tried, both wet and dry.

I thought about that leader tucked in my vest pocket and figured that maybe crashing the fly into the rings of a rise was not subtle enough.

Trout this size didn’t get that way by being stupid. I finally bit the bullet and spent some precious evening fishing time tying on the new leader and tippet.

I was struck again by the craftsmanship of the fine, symmetrical blood knots so evenly spaced.

Tying on a #12 elk hair caddis and stripping about twenty feet of fly line I waited for a fish to show within reach, the line coiled in my hand and the fly flicking out in a slow false cast.

I could feel the difference in control and the slightly changed timing but the adjustment was automatic when a slow roll revealed a fish in range.

The caddis looped out and straightened about a foot above the rise form.

The green bodied fly landed within the rings, barely a ripple betraying its artificial origin.

The fly had hardly settled when the water erupted as a big Brook Trout swung around and smacked one of the knots in my leader.

Labels: , , ,

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Steve:
I have a hard time keeping up with your blog, you seem to be writing
something new every couple of days (I'm not complaining).
Your latest article on tapered leaders was very interesting, and the
part about the trout hitting the knot made me smile.
I am useless when it comes to tapered leaders. I've tried every one in
the book and only a couple have been quite consistent in their
performance. Mind you, I suspect the ones I rejected were used on
fishless days.
I do know that your method of using a straight piece of six or eight
pound Maxima Chameleon is the only thing the locals use up on the
Northern Peninsula.
However, for the amount of salmon fishing that I do I just can't be
bothered to hand tie a tapered leader so I buy them. I get mine from
W.W. Doak's in N.B. They are called "Miramichi Hand Tied Tapered
Leaders" and they work fine, especially with a dry fly. And for tapered
trout leaders I buy the Maxima Knotless Tapered Leaders. These leaders
have a Chameleon butt and an Ultragreen tip. I usually cut the green tip
off and replace it with some Chameleon. And since most of the trout I
hook are not over twelve inches I join the leader to the line using a No
Knot Connection as shown on this site ...
http://flyfisherman.com/skills/dwnoknot/index.html I've never had this
method fail on me.
Just thought I'd give you something else to think about over Christmas.
Take good care
Pat


--
http://users.eastlink.ca/~dryfly/

My hook is baited with a dream, I fish for Peace - Robert Service

19 December 2007 at 02:05  
Blogger Steve Dobson said...

Man, I enjoy a note from Pat. He knows more about fishing than most, and has a way of mentioning off-handedly things I'll have to ponder for days. That's the best kind of a gift. I encourage you all to visit his web-site. It is not just crammed with good practical information but there are some pretty good laughs as well.

Cheers,
Steve

22 December 2007 at 18:12  
Blogger anderson said...

your blog Provides things are helps me to find my detail. your blog is very good for me

please keep it up.I like it
Visit :- Hand-Tied Dry Flies

29 September 2015 at 12:50  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home