Sunday 24 May 2009

Great Shad fishing and Good Trout Fishing: Spring in Nova Scotia

Shad fishing has been spotty to say the least. I have been out a few times this past week and success has varied from nothing, to “too many to tell because it will sound like BS”.







I have also had some luck with trout. I picked up three yesterday and a handful of shad. The smaller male shad are well up the river and some spawning activity is going on.



-

The males are smaller than the females by almost half but are tremendous fun. This one jumped twice and had me into my backing on the first run.


The preferred colour seems to vary with each group of fish. What has been working for me is to change up frequently.

It seems I’ll get one or two hook-ups with one colour then nothing until I try something else, then one or two more and so on. I think every fly in my box has been wet this year.

Green, green and white and solid red seem to be favoured by a small margin.

The technique that has been working is to fish the cast about 45 degrees across and down stream. Let the fly dead drift until it straightens out below you and then give it a slow, jerky, retrieve with lots of pauses to let the fly dangle.
-

Hits seem to come anywhere in the cast, so be ready.

Labels: , , ,

7 Comments:

Blogger Fish Whisperer said...

Steve, great report and some nice fish.
Don't be afraid to tell us the BS fish stories that we know you make up either.
Tight lines and fish tales

24 May 2009 at 23:42  
Blogger Tony said...

Hows you doin Steve? not too bad I guess!! nice fishing (as usual) good to see your getting some good bend in the rod.
All the best Tony

28 May 2009 at 23:26  
Anonymous Steve said...

Well Hello Fish whisperer,

I have never been shy about BS'ing. I am a fisherman after all.

By the way, how is the guiding business going for you?
That new boat of yours looks pretty nice and judging by the pics on your website, it is getting a lot of use.

Cheers,
Steve

30 May 2009 at 03:43  
Anonymous Steve said...

Hello Tony,

Nice to hear from you. I see you have been getting some fishing in. I really enjoyed your posting about fishing the sedge.

I'm on the mend. Just a matter of building up my stamina and getting used to some life style changes.

The weather here has been great during the work week and terrible on the weekends, so it is hard to get out on the brooks. Can't complain though, should be grateful I'm getting out at all I guess.

Cheers,
Steve

30 May 2009 at 04:00  
Anonymous russel and genie said...

What kinda fish er out ther in the sackville river. The wife and I are goin to be stayin a the koa halifax west campground on the river and plan to rent a canoe and er wondrin what to use in the ways of bait and tackle to catch some fish. Not lookin for any particular species just happy to catch fish period.
Cheers..

13 June 2009 at 01:47  
Blogger Steve Dobson said...

Well Russel and Genie, I know you will enjoy yourselves.

There are Speckled Trout, Smallmouth Bass, and Atlantic Salmon in the Sackville River system.

The scenery is magical and within minutes you will have left the urban sprawl behind.

If you want to get into some great Bass fishing (and the odd trout) try First Lake or Second Lake in Sackville for urban fishing at its best. Truth is most of the lakes in the Halifax/Dartmouth area are loaded with fish.

Here is a website to check out. Look under the recreation section for information on fishing.

http://www.sackvillerivers.ns.ca/

Cheers,
Steve

13 June 2009 at 02:55  
Anonymous William C. Garcia said...

Hey STEVE DOBSON,
Very nice blog you have shared here on Great Shad fishing and Good Trout Fishing: Spring in Nova Scotia. I read but your sharing pictures are not clear. It would be better if I could see your sharing pictures. Thanks for your nice sharing.

11 May 2016 at 22:56  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home