Friday 10 April 2009

Fishing the way it is supposed to be?


It has always been my preference to go afoot when fishing; no boat just boots, fly rod and vest. Pure and simple fishing, the way it is supposed to be.

Well, that is my impression of my fishing style. As I organize my equipment for the upcoming season, the reality turns out to be slightly different.

Now it is boots, fly rod, vest and collapsible wading staff. Well, it is actually breathable waders with felt soled wading boots and of course a spare spool with an alternate line in one vest pocket, a digital camera in the other, polarized sunglasses, more boxes of flies than actually fit comfortably in my remaining pockets, too many gadgets to count pinned on my vest, several maps, three year old salmon tags and a mass of what once might have been a chocolate bar in the vest’s back pouch, too many tippet spools in crazy weights, several store bought leaders- well past their best before date, a rusty cigar cutter, emergency matches, a whistle and so on...

It is all apparently necessary because the only thing I actually removed from the vest was the old salmon tags.

In a pinch, the chocolate bar may still be edible.




Labels: , , , , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Fish Whisperer said...

I can totally relate Steve. I did a post last year that is along the same lines
http://www.xstreemfishing.com/2008/06/out-of-boat-and-into-water.html
It is amazing how much stuff we take with us.
Tight lines

10 April 2009 at 23:58  
Blogger Steve Dobson said...

Good article Fish Whisperer,
Interesting how we can either be rejuvenated by a set-back or bummed out. It all comes down to attitude I guess.
Click here to read Fish Whisperer's interesting post and to check out the fantastic new logo he is using as a header on his site.

Cheers,
Steve

11 April 2009 at 18:55  
Blogger dsflyfishing said...

I keep looking for ways to streamline what I take with me without giving up anything - aint easy.

16 April 2009 at 03:11  
Blogger Steve Dobson said...

To be honest DSFLYFISHING,

I really don't try anymore. If my back starts to hurt, I'll just shift around a few fly boxes and tighten my wading belt a little.

Cheers,
Steve

17 April 2009 at 00:17  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home