Thursday 11 September 2008

From The Mail Bag – Your Fishing Questions Answered


-
-
-
-
-
-
-
September 3rd, 2008
Sterling
UK


Dear Steve,

I do not really read your website but you strike me as a mature and sensible person.

Earlier this summer my husband told me he had taken up fly-fishing. I thought it was marvelous until I noticed that each time he returned from a day or weekend supposedly on the water, he looked quite haggard and smelled of liquor, or worse- perfume.

I finally confronted him. We had a terrible row that ended when I asked him to prove to me that he was really going fly-fishing. We walked into the back garden where I made him demonstrate that he could tie on a fly and actually make a cast. He managed to tie the fly on but then immediately hooked our shrubbery, which was behind him!

I think my marriage may be over. Presently, we have not spoken for the last four days. What do you think?

With Regards,

Mrs. Archie Smith


September 10, 2008
Nova Scotia
Canada

Dear Mrs. Smith,

The problem with hooking-up on the back cast is often because one has not applied enough power to the lifting stroke. That will allow the line to fall to the ground behind the caster rather than keeping it in the air and well clear of low obstacles. In the case of casting with shrubbery too close behind, I would suggest a steeple cast or a variation of the spey or roll cast.

Cheers,
Steve

Labels:

7 Comments:

Blogger Fish Whisperer said...

I would say more but I am laughing too hard.
Cheers

11 September 2008 at 13:58  
Blogger Fish Whisperer said...

Steve. gave you an award. Stop by and pick it up anytime.
Cheers

13 September 2008 at 02:06  
Blogger Steve Dobson said...

Thanks Fish Whisperer,

That sounds nice. Not sure how to go about picking it up. Will I need to wear a suit and make a speech?

Cheers,
Steve

13 September 2008 at 16:21  
Blogger Random Phrump said...

Steve:
I've been thinking... we haven't had a fishing trip in awhile. How about we plan a weekend for fall salmon? You bring the booze - I'll bring my new cologne!

RP

15 September 2008 at 00:28  
Blogger Steve Dobson said...

Yup, count me in.
I'm working straight through this week and next weekend but as soon as I know when I can get clear I'll give you a shout.

Can't wait.
Cheers,
Steve

15 September 2008 at 02:55  
Blogger vanckirby said...

hahahahah! too funny!

15 September 2008 at 06:12  
Blogger thebigandyt said...

haha loved it!

1 October 2008 at 22:06  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home