Sunday 31 August 2008

Fishing Excuses


Think of this list like one of those jars you see beside the till in convenience stores. Need a penny take one; got a penny leave one. All of the excuses I have either used myself or heard someone else use.

Need an Excuse- Take one; Got an Excuse- Leave One

  1. No fish here
  2. The wind was wrong
  3. The barometer was rising
  4. The barometer was falling
  5. The Solunar table said it was the wrong time anyway
  6. It is about the fishing, not the catching
  7. Water too cold
  8. Water too warm
  9. Water too low
  10. Water too high
  11. Jinxed myself
  12. You jinxed me
  13. Using the wrong fly, lure or bait
  14. Wrong spot
  15. Wrong tide
  16. Fish are too educated here
  17. Couldn’t cast out far enough to reach the fish
  18. Wrong moon phase
  19. Too many other people around
  20. Leader too heavy
  21. Leader too short
  22. Pulled it away from him
  23. Too cold to fish well- after falling in
  24. I did everything right but the fish just would not take
  25. I did not know the hook was broken off my fly
  26. Too bright out
  27. Must have had gas fumes on my hands
  28. Fishing from the wrong side of the brook
  29. There was a seal in the pool- works with beavers and otters too.
  30. The guide ….- just fill in the blank. Only works when there are no fish. If there were lots caught, you never hear the guide mentioned.
  31. Tony said... Took the wife .....she scared them off !
  32. Fish Whisperer said... Took the wife and she caught them all.

Labels: , ,

7 Comments:

Blogger Tony said...

31. Took the wife .....she scared them off !

2 September 2008 at 02:23  
Blogger Fish Whisperer said...

I think I have used all of those, except the wife one. Mine goes something like this. Took the wife and she caught them all.
Cool blog I will be adding you to mine.
Cheers

6 September 2008 at 12:38  
Blogger Steve Dobson said...

Thanks for the input Tony. Judging by your recent adventures You don't often need an excuse.

I encourage folks to take a look at Fish Whisperer's Blog.
Xstreem Fishing Fiji
It has the most amazing photography. He fishes in paradise.

Not that the Ribble isn't...

Cheers,
Steve

6 September 2008 at 19:08  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This post made me laught a lot! it´s true, when we don´t fish, we use a lot of excuses.

Regards.

6 September 2008 at 21:09  
Blogger Steve Dobson said...

Hello Old Smuggler,

Thanks for stopping by. Another guy who probably doesn't need to use an excuse very often. There is some wonderful fishing to be had in his area. Check out Mendoza Fly Fishing

Cheers,
Steve

6 September 2008 at 21:49  
Blogger James Mann said...

I have a fishing buddy that has used them all, but #19 fits the best for him.

We drove for three hours to get to a spot that I love to fish but when we got there he say that there was too many people so he said, 'let's go this way today'. I wasn't pleased at all and complained for about 5 minutes straight, well until I hooked that first big Atlantic salmon hiding behind a rock in the river.

I wasn't so upset about not fishing with the others, where the salmon were. Of course he had to take the credit for making us go the other way.

18 September 2008 at 14:54  
Blogger Steve Dobson said...

Thanks for stopping by James,

Good story.

Cheers,
Steve

19 September 2008 at 03:14  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home