Sunday 4 May 2008

Shad Fishing on the Fly - The Basics



The whole idea of fly-fishing for Shad on purpose is relatively new in comparison to the other more traditional fly fishing targets of trout and salmon.

In reviewing, what I know about it for various articles I have written in the past year I realized that the ideas and techniques I was using were derivatives of other styles of fishing, mainly slightly adapted salmon fishing techniques, with a few personal twists added as I gained experience.


In its simplest form, here is how to catch a Shad with a fly rod.

Use a sink-tip line and a short, stout leader of about four to six feet. Tie on a brightly coloured, weighted fly in the number ten to twelve range and cast it three quarters down stream and across. An upstream mend just as it lands will help to sink the fly.

Let the cast straighten out below you. Do not retrieve it right away. Let the fly dangle there for between ten and twenty seconds. Work it just enough to keep from snagging then slowly lift your rod tip to raise the fly up from the bottom. If no strike, do the whole thing over again. Expect a strike, ranging from subtle to jarring, anywhere along the drift but most often a few seconds into the dangle or just as you begin the lift.

If you do this so that your fly is covering a pocket or deep spot in the river where the Shad momentarily rest on their way upstream, you will get one sooner or later.

This is a nice straight forward approach, easy to master and adaptable to your particular reading of the water and what it tells you about where the fish are going to hold up temporarily.

The one gear related observation I will make is that you need a good, free-running, reel with lots of backing just as you would for salmon fishing.

No Bull, these fish fight with tremendous strength. If you are not into your backing a few times on a day’s Shad fishing, the big ones are not in yet and you should already be planning a return trip.

Having reviewed the basics, next time I will try to explain a bit about reading the water to figure out where you have the best chance of connecting.

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Random Phrump said...

Steve:
That's a pretty good description of the technique. One thing I might add is that getting your fly to the correct depth is a crucial factor. I often use a three-foot leader, and, depending on the weight of the fly, may have to cast directly across stream to get it to sink enough to be in the zone when it gets to the fish. You have to play with the variables that influence the depth your fly fishes at - sometimes as simple as moving up or down the bank and lengthening or shortening your cast. If you snag bottom occasionally, then you're in the ballpark.

Shad-fishing with the fly rod is definitely all about presentation. Almost any fly will work. Ches Harlow used to catch them on a bare hook - one of those bass jig things with a glob of lead on it.

And loyal readers: listen to what Steve has to say - he is the SHADMASTER!

5 May 2008 at 14:16  
Blogger Steve Dobson said...

Thanks RP,
Yeah, I sort of glossed over it a bit. I will get to the good stuff in the next few posts.

Next, I'm going to talk a bit about reading the water and figuring where your best chances are. Then I'm going to talk a bit about a new technique I've been working out.

BTW-the lost keys post over at Random Casts is pretty funny.

We can all relate.

Cheers,
Steve

6 May 2008 at 03:05  
Blogger Random Phrump said...

ShadMaster:

I remember the time you intercepted them in the shadow of the bridge and caught them by the dozens - we had sore arms that day!

RP

6 May 2008 at 06:48  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Steve,

Stopped by our shad river on Sunday on the way back from a Truro photo shoot. Only a few folks were out fishing and I did not spot any shad in areas that I normally see them. What's the latest report? Looks like a nice striper on the other post!

Brad

6 May 2008 at 14:04  
Blogger Steve Dobson said...

Well, sore arms are a common affliction among dedicated Shad Fisherman RP.

I visited my favourite spot Saturday and didn't see any Shad but there sure were a lot of trout. I'm hearing that the Shad are around but no great numbers being caught yet.

I'm going to head out again first chance. I'll let you know how I make out.

Jason's Striper tells me the Shad must be around too. They have the same water temperature trigger- about 12 degrees c or around 54 F to start their spawning run.

Give me a shout Fish Hawk maybe we can get out tomorrow evening?

7 May 2008 at 00:57  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home