Tuesday 25 December 2007

Joyeux Noel and Merry Christmas!

A long time ago when I lived in Kelowna, British Columbia I got up early one Christmas morning and drove up into the foothills to take a few casts for winter trout. It was pre-children so my wife and I had only one obligation that day, Christmas dinner at the Teel’s. They were wonderful people, the parents of my fishing buddy and friend, Paul. The morning was glorious. As I drove the winding road to the higher elevations, patches of snow showed here and there along the creek becoming thicker and more persistent. My plan was to spend an hour or two and be home before my wife woke up and got started on the Christmas day bustle. It is hard to describe the beauty of a mountain creek on a still day. It is even harder to describe the pleasure of being able to enjoy it on a whim.
At one point I looked down and noticed a small black stone-fly crawling over the snow, then another. There was a hatch coming off of what my friend called ice-flies. Quickly changing flies to match the hatch I flicked a cast into a foamy pocket behind a dead-fall. The response was instantaneous as a silver missile erupted from the water. It was incredible fishing. The kind we all dream about. A glacier fed creek, a curtain of snow capped mountains as a back drop and those wonderful Kamloops Rainbows. How could a Christmas morning be better? And then I looked at my watch. Trust me when I tell you that there may be excuses for being late to Christmas dinner that will earn you forgiveness and tolerance. “But there was a hatch coming off” is not one of them. Even now, when I hear people speak of the Christmas Miracle I wonder if they are referring to the fact that I’m still married to the same girl.
Joyeux Noel and Merry Christmas!



Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home