Saturday 30 January 2010

Belated New Year's Wishes and Future Plans

 So a man comes in the door, returning from his Cardio Rehab class. His wife smiles and says,"The kids are both out Honey. Let's run upstairs and make love."
The man just shrugs his shoulders and says,"It's got to be one or the other...take your pick."

Ha, that joke was a big hit at Cardio Rehab last year. It doesn't seem so funny now that I'm feeling better. People are amazingly resilient.
-
Last year this time I was just emerging from heart surgery and was so feeble and weak that I couldn't really do anything. A five minute walk was a work-out! Now I do a 5 km walk most days. By this time next year, if all continues to go well, it should be as though this heart business had never happened.

I'm trying to think of a trip or project that I can embark upon to celebrate. In effect to re-stake my claim on life if that's not too dramatic.

Off and on I've thought about how close I can get to the Hudson Bay by car. I'm thinking about a drive and camp expedition up through Nova Scotia into New Brunswick and Quebec. I figure I can get at least to James Bay, the little dangley bit on the map just below Hudson Bay.

Using the Quebec route I would pass through some of the most spectacular wilderness and pristine fishing this country still has to offer. There is a river in Northern Quebec that claims so many world records for Speckled Trout that it is a legend in itself. That is just one of the literally hundreds of brooks and rivers I would pass along the way, each with its own story, each with its own legend.

The main equipment would be a tent, fly rod, gold pan and camera. The rest is just details. The plan is to drive until I see a spot I'd like to fish or explore, heading roughly North, leap-frogging from spot to undiscovered spot. The destination is not the point, it is about the journey.

The "to do" list would read something like: get some money together, find someone who would like to go with me, get the RAV4 tuned up and ready, start collecting maps and information.

I'm not sure that this trip is do'able this year. My fall back is either Cape Breton or the Gaspe in Quebec. The logistics are not very complex but finances are always a concern. Time is really the most limited resource when dreaming of an expedition.

Anyway, I'll mull it all over and come up with something to satisfy this urge to celebrate my second chance. Maybe I'll surprise myself.

Belated wishes for a great New Year to one and all.

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Fish Whisperer said...

Good to hear you are feeling alive again. Now get out there and fish.
Tight lines

31 January 2010 at 11:35  
Blogger Rabbi Eric Eisenkramer said...

What a blessing to have a second chance. Keep feeling good!

3 February 2010 at 17:20  
Blogger Steve Dobson said...

Thanks for the comments Rabbi Eric and Fish Whisperer;

My resolution for this year is to pay as much attention to life's small pleasures as I do to the grand ones.

Cheers,
Steve

4 February 2010 at 02:11  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home