Thursday 7 February 2008

The Winter Blues

 I still have not been able to settle into any fly tying yet. This winter seems to discourage the thought of spring as a possibility. As I stare at the jumble on my workbench, which will need cleaning up just to make room for my tying vise, tools and supplies, I realize that I still have not finished the last two wraps on that Bamboo rod I have been working on forever. There are several half-finished Dobson Clip projects randomly scattered. They stare at me accusingly. Sprinkled on top of everything else is a pile of notes for articles I have not gotten around to writing. On it goes.

Just listing those few of the things awaiting my attention and energies reminds me of the time my brother Al told me he was feeling down, un-invigorated, listless.

He said, “I went to the doctor to see if I had mononucleosis or something.”
“Scary stuff.” I said. “What’s the problem?”
“Well” Al says, “after a bunch of tests and stuff, it turns out I’m just lazy.”

Labels: , , ,

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Even Canada geese are smart enough to fly south in the winter.

On a positive note only eight more weeks until opening day - April first.

7 February 2008 at 08:34  
Blogger Steve Dobson said...

Yeah, not long now Brad.

I can't wait for fishing season this year.
Interesting thought about the geese. Some of them only fly as far south as Nova Scotia. Bet they are PO'd when they run into their buddies who made it all the way to Virginia. The words, "you Flockers" come to mind.

Cheers,
Steve

7 February 2008 at 17:09  
Blogger Random Phrump said...

Hilarious, Steve!

You can't wait to get out on the Medway to see if any of those big Rainbows survived Hurricane Noel. There's probably a dozen laying in front of your camp right now!

8 February 2008 at 07:26  
Blogger Steve Dobson said...

Well R.P.;
I'm pretty sure the great steelhead fishing in Cape Breton originated with escapees from the early fish farming projects. I do not know at what cost to the eco-system of the Bras d'Or lakes.

What I do know though, is that I'm going to run a big, purple-trimmed Cardinal along the steady by those button bushes in front of my camp come April First...or maybe a big Muddler or a Mickey Finn. I bet the Rumsey Lake Minnow would do some business with those rainbows now that I think of it.

No, the Purple Slime ought to do it for the first pass.

Can't wait!

Cheers,
Steve

8 February 2008 at 18:22  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home