Saturday 2 June 2007

The Secret Spot

Brad with salmon
I have a friend who fishes with me fairly often. Over the years we have explored a lot of water and found some great places. The only problem is that a typical conversation when planning a trip sounds like this:
Me: " Want to get out tomorrow?"
Him: "Sure"
Me: "Where are you thinking?"
Him: "How about the Secret Spot? That should be good with the wind the way it is"
Me: "Yeah, We'll have to take my truck to get down that road"
Him: "No not there. I was thinking The Secret Spot where the river hits"
Me: "Oh the one by the island?"
Him: "No. The Secret Spot where you got that big trout"

Me: "The one where I only got the one big trout or the one where I got those two trout"
Him: "No, the other one"

And so it goes until one of us thinks to ask, "Where is the nearest Tim Horton's (a coffee shop chain)?" That locates the spot better than a GPS.

Here is a link to the most amazing fly tying I have ever seen. http://www.solarexpert.com/fishing/more-fly-tying.html I've spent a long time looking at the pictures and trying to figure out how he does it. There are even some step by step photos but it is far beyond my skill. I'd love to have a few in my fly box though to casually pick out sometime when I'm with another angler and we are discussing what tactics to use. Picture holding up that red spider and saying, "Maybe I'll give this a flick. What do you think?"

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Random Phrump said...

Steve:

I'll never forget the time a friend and I were scouting the Baddeck River one fine October day. Neither of us had ever fished it before. As we drove along, we spotted a truck parked on the side of the road by a farmer's field. We could see someone had recently walked through the long dry grass, so we followed the track about a quarter mile diagonally across the field and down through some woods till we came to the river. There was a beautiful deep pool and two fishermen staring at us with (what's that American expression? oh, yes!)"shock and awe". We sat on the bank watching for awhile, and eventually we got talking to them. Before long, they packed up their rods and turned towards the woods.

"By the way," I inquired as they were leaving, "What do you call this pool?"

One looked at the other and grimaced, "We used to call it the Secret Pool."

13 June 2007 at 02:28  
Blogger Steve Dobson said...

Thanks Warren. That's a good story. Another of my favourites is the bear skin rug incident that happened at Chute Pool Lodge (where the "Jack Whacker" was christened). I'll add a link to your stories in the near future.

15 June 2007 at 01:27  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home