Saturday 12 May 2007

Getting started in fly-fishing

It is interesting how consuming fly-fishing can be. I've been at it for years and I still learn something new every time I'm out.

 Recently I've been fascinated by the pleasure of just making a cast. A young fellow at my work brought in his fly gear to show me. He is just getting started in fly-fishing. I looked it over and offered some comments on knots and terminal tackle. Of course we ended up out in the parking lot flicking a few casts.



What's funny is that two grown men spent about forty-five minutes standing in a parking lot casting with all the care and attention we would if there was a salmon lurking under every parked car.

The feel of a good cast is such a pleasure in itself. The only thing that took us back inside that day was that lunchtime was over and we had to get back to work.. I wonder if people would still practice casting if for some reason there was no more fishing allowed?

I remembered another quotation but I'm not sure who said it, "The only time I am really confident that I'm using the right fly is when there is a fish attached to it."

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Andrew Crawford said...

Did you catch anything?

13 May 2007 at 17:08  
Blogger Steve Dobson said...

A new fly fisherman I guess.

15 May 2007 at 00:29  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home